Monday 22 March 2010

Craft shopping in Lisbon

If you are new in the country and you do not know where you can buy your supply, that’s a different matter. For this reason I shop in Lisbon, and Baixa is a treasure island for craft people.

I lived in Lisbon's São Bento street for three years, which is not too far from centre of the city. Because of this I found some craft shops and from time to time I would visit to buy my supplies. I make lots of things and my treasure hunting starts at heart of Lisbon. I need beads for beading, thread for cross-stitching, sewing, wool for knitting, and paints for glass painting – as well as any new discoveries I might stumble across.

It seems that almost all craft shops in Lisbon are located in Rua do Conceiçao, with a few more shops within walking distance from this street. If you are looking for art shops then visit Rua do Ouro or Rua da Rosa. Of course, being a woman we are always looking for something for our homes, so I wind up my shopping trip in a big home department store Pollux, in Rua dos Fanqueiros – and even then you can find a big knitting shop in this street as well.

I wish you good “hunting” for treasure in an old city.

PS: Wrote some years ago for International Women in Portugal's magazine Janela.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails